Polenta Breakfast Cake Recipe
Polenta Breakfast Cake (Gluten Free)
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2 9x5 Loaves
Most anytime guests with gluten sensitivities are staying at the Blue Goose, you’ll find this popular treat under the glass dome on our counter next to the coffee and tea service. We also serve it for breakfast and it is always popular. The corn meal gives it a great texture while the almond flour soaks up the lemon syrup keeping it moist and delicious.
- Butter & flour* (for greasing the pans)
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1⅔ cups GF all-purpose baking flour*
- 1 ½ cups fine cornmeal
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1¾ cups (3½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown
- ½ cup lemon juice (from 3 large lemons)
- * We use Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free baking flour which contains: garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, whole grain sweet white sorghum flour, fava bean flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.Butter and flour two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans, and set aside.
- Whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, cornmeal, almond flour, baking powder, xanthium gum and salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour the melted butter into a separate, large bowl, then whisk in the eggs, one at a t time.
- Stir in the vanilla, then add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the cakes are golden on top and firm in the center.
- A few minutes before pulling the cakes out, combine the brown sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, and cook until the brown sugar has dissolved completely, 1 to 2 minutes.
- When the cakes come out, pour the syrup on top of the cakes (with the cakes still in the pan). Let the cakes sit and soak the syrup up for about 15 minutes.
- Run a small knife around the edges of each pan, and remove the cakes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature