Hazelnut waffles served with mixed berry compote and cream with maple-glazed bacon.
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4 - 6
The Pacific Northwest Hazelnuts are ground in this recipe and add a nice texture and taste which pairs well with a mixed berry compote.
- 3 oz. (2/3 cup) hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 9 oz. (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ oz. (2/3 cup) cake flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 ¾ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Process the hazelnuts with 2 Tbs. of the flour in a food processor until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, whisk the ground hazelnuts, all purpose and cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- With a rubber spatula, lightly stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. (There will be small lumps in the batter.)
- Let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours in the refrigerator).
- Cook the waffles for about 4 minutes, until golden brown.