Smoky Cheddar and Bacon Puffed Eggs
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Savory Breakfast
Serves: 4 to 5
This easy brunch dish is a cross between an omelet and a soufflé. It's baked in a ramekin dish, rising like a soufflé when the eggs hit the oven. The center is filled like an omelet, with fried onions, smoky cheddar cheese, and bacon. This has become a favorite at the Inn. The trick to making this so delicious is to buy a good smoked cheddar cheese.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 onion, halved and sliced, (1 cup)
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup milk or half and half
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions, green part only
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat a 6 cup shallow baking dish or use 5 individual crème brulee ramekins with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Fry the bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until brown and crisp stirring frequently.
- Scoop the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Keep the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and golden brown.
- Add the bacon to the onions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, milk, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer at medium speed until firm but not stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.
- Gently stir half of the whites into the egg yolk mixture to lighten.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites until blended.
- Gently spoon half of the egg mixture into the baking dish or individual ramekins. Sprinkle with the bacon-onion mixture, green onions and half the cheese.
- Gently scoop the remaining egg mixture over the filling.
- Bake the eggs for 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and set in the center.
- Just before removing from the oven sprinkle with the remaining cheese and allow it to melt.
- Serve immediately or it will deflate.