Fruit & Chia-seed Parfait
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4 (half-cup servings)
This is a simple starter that requires no cooking and can be prepared the night before. It is delicious served with most any fresh fruit. Chia seed is called a "super-food" because it is high in protein, high in fiber and high in omega-3. After soaking, it has the consistency of tapioca. Substitute almond milk or cashew milk for a more nutty taste.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp chia seeds
- Toasted coconut
- 2 cups diced fruit, (berries, pineapple, mango, kiwi, banana, etc)
- ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- In a bowl, combine coconut milk, maple syrup, salt, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Gently whisk in chia seeds.
- Whisk 2 more times in 10 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, gently whisk chia seed mixture to break up any lumps.
- In a parfait cup, layer chia seed mixture, fruit and another layer of chia seed mixture.
- Top with the toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.