Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Seed Parfait Recipe
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 6 to 8
Spring is for fresh local strawberries and rhubarb. What better way to put them together than in a chia-seed parfait. Chia seed is a superfood that is high in protein, high in fiber and omega-3 and tastes great too!
- 6 Tbs. chia seed
- 1 ½ C. milk
- ½ C. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch salt
- Fresh strawberries, chopped
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce:
- ¾ lb. rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 C. strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ C. sugar
- ⅓ C. water
- Squeeze of lemon juice
For the Parfaits:
- In a bowl, combine milk, cream, honey, vanilla, lemon zest and salt.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the chia seed and gently whisk until incorporated.
- Whisk two more times in about 10 minutes, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
For the Sauce:
- Meanwhile, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low, simmer until rhubarb and strawberries are tender but not too mushy.
- Once the sauce is cooked, gently stir in a squeeze of lemon to taste.
- Let the mixture cool completely, then store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- To serve, gently whisk the chia seed mixture to break up any lumps.
- In a parfait glass, layer with the strawberry rhubarb sauce, chia seed mixture and finish with fresh strawberries.