History of the Homes
#702 Main Street, Coupeville, Washington
John and Jane Kineth House / Blue Goose Inn
The construction was done with balloon framing (or “Chicago construction”) with diagonal bracing. This technique uses long, continuous framing members (studs) that run from the sill plate all the way to the top plate. The lumber was all hand sawn from fir trees on the Island.
As the home was originally built, it included one water closet with hot and cold running water, a claw-foot tub, and a toilet with Thomas Crapper’s patented valve and siphon design, which was considered quite modern for the time. The original tub and vanity are still in use today.
Historic photo showing Kineth house (below) with picket fence and the Methodist Church with some early utility poles and a dirt street (probably between 1940 and 1960).
An image of the Kineth house in Coupeville was also featured in a book called Daughters of the Painted Ladies: America’s Resplendent Victorians, by Elizabeth Pomada with photography by Douglas Keister (1987).