Sweet Potato Pancakes
Author: Blue Goose Inn Bed & Breakfast
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12 pancakes
A crispy pan-fried sweet potato pancake that has a delicate and smooth interior. This savory pancake can be served for breakfast or dinner and pairs well with the Creamy Poblano Sauce and a Poached Eggs.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsps. Baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp yellow curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 2 cups canola oil for frying, (or enough to come up about ¼ inch from the bottom of the pan)
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- In a food processor using the medium shredding disc, process the potatoes and onions and set into a large mixing bowl. (You can also use a box grater and manually shred them.)
- Add the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, curry powder, cayenne powder and mix until well blended.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot, 350 to 375 degrees.
- Take about ⅓ cup of the mixture and shape it into a flat disc, then carefully add to the oil, trying to keep its round shape.
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until brown on one side.
- Flip, cooking another 3 minutes until second side is brown.
- Remove to a paper towel.
- Repeat until all the pancakes are fried.
- Place in 300° oven to keep warm and to finish setting in the middle.
- Serve with Poached Eggs and Creamy Poblano Sauce over a bed of fresh baby spinach.